[extropy-chat] Transhumanism and Ayn Rand

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 18:01:12 UTC 2006

On 2/18/06, Marc Geddes <m_j_geddes at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Here are my current opinions of various ideologies and
> positions advocated or mentioned by people on the
> transhumanist lists over the years:

I'm glad you said "opinion", as there are several claims which are quite
questionable.

*True general intelligence without qualia
> BULLSHIT

I would love to see your definition of "general intelligence".  I think
there are ample examples of a number of species (chimpanzees, dolphins,
dogs, parrots & their kin) which exhibit a fair amount of it.  I suspect you
have a very narrow (personal) definition of "true" which gives rise to the
"BULLSHIT" assertion.
(Note I'll emphasize the "declarative" nature of of these assertions since
virtually no evidence was presented.)

*Vitamin/Dietary supplements
> BULLSHIT

Tell that to the people who fail to consume enough beta-carotene/Vitamin A
who end up going blind as a result.  Or the people who would be anemic were
it not for iron enriched foods.  And then of course there is the example of
lifespan extension in at least 3 species including one vertebrate based on
diets high in resveratrol.

*Caloric restriction
> Not entirely bullshit, but effect in humans so small
> that it may as well be
> BULLSHIT

The current studies in Rhesus monkeys are showing the standard improvements
that one would expect from CR which are associated with lifespan extension.
Any results of statistical significance will not be in for humans for
probably several decades.  So all you can say is we just don't know what the
effect will be, we don't know that it is "BULLSHIT".

*Significant advances in life extension in the next 20 years
> BULLSHIT

This is most probably completely wrong if current trends continue.  Just
reading the statement as made I'd probably agree if you chose, 5, perhaps 10
years but not 15 or 20.

Since the statements were made on the basis of personal assertions I will do
the same.  The last three assertions are not BULLSHIT and the first has
significant problems with word definitions.  Since there is no way we are
going to resolve this (I can't hand you my knowledge base in the last 3 and
you can't hand me yours on the first) particularly on an email list we might
as well simply agree to disagree.

I simply provide my assertions as counterpoints to yours for people who may
not have been around on transhumanist lists as long as you or I and may
therefore be be mislead into believing the statements have a high
probability of being valid.

Robert