[extropy-chat] META: ExI List Quality & Future

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sun Feb 19 20:16:34 UTC 2006

“
 a wide-open forum is a relic of the Cretaceous period of the Internet.
The size of the net has probably grown by 8 or 9 orders of magnitude
since the Early Days when the list was open.  I'm grateful it was back then,
but it's time to change.”    Greg Burch, 2006

_________________

"I say: the List is dead! Long live the list!”  Max More, 2006

Before you read any further, I would like you to know that ExI’s 2006
formal Strategic Plan, which is being formatted for public viewing,
indicates that ExI is currently undergoing a transformational change.  One
of the initiatives of the Plan is restructuring and modernizing its email
list.  The Strategic Plan is not public yet, and the initiatives are
scheduled for implementing after March 1, 2006, although I believe we can
expedite this initiative sooner.

Please read on

The following are my thoughts about the current state of the email
list:  It is evident that list members cannot or will not actively manage
the list as they once did. This could be because of the list volume,  I’m
not sure.

Years ago, list members did not want to be controlled. They carried on
high-level discussions and, every now and then someone would cause a
conflict, and the list would work though problems.   The list was a virtual
team of extropians who thought about the future and their unified
worldview.  Newcomers to the list were scrutinized and, eventually,
welcomed into the forum.

Then extropians were criticized for being an “elitist” group and one had to
be highly intelligent, enormously creative, and exceptionally knowledgeable
about science and technology to fit in.  As the years passed and the ideas
became more widely known, the list maintained its dignity and also welcomed
more diversity and input from different disciplines.

There were several very difficult times when the list was unbalanced,
attracting dogmatic posters on religion and politics.  It angered some list
members and they left for a while, started their own lists, but eventually
came back because they found something of value on ExI’s list.  That
something is a sense of quality, depth, reasoning, dignity.  List members
expected quality and they usually got it.

There have been ups and downs and time and time again, because the list is
an open forum a few soapbox posters demanded that their point of view was
right.  Then there were trolls who came onto the list to cause
havoc.  Weeding out these posters with skill and tact, while at the same
time valuing a non-censored sentiment and uncontrolled list environment,
has been the job of list moderators.

Balancing these elements is not easy.  And for the posters, confidence
wanes, conflict arises and discontent prevails, until a transformation occurs.

But transformation does not come easy. Conflict tends to shift focus away
from the basic goals of the list posters, reducing productivity and the
bottom line of “list quality.”  Surveys show that list moderators and
managers spend about 20 to 50 percent (could be more) of their time on
conflict resolution. And as a result, the list owners, such as ExI, have
increased house cleaning tasks to empower list posters to move beyond the
conflict.  This repeated loop reinforces confusion and distrust of list
quality and makes the list more vulnerable to problems, annoyances and
distrust than ever.

As the Internet grows, posters are “supposed” to continue to be
self-directed, contribute their opinions, and communicate with a greater
number of list members. List posters have to be focused on avoiding,
accommodating, competing, compromising, and collaborating with other list
members.  By this, the individual list posters need to be ready, at an
instant’s notice, to access to their own conflict management skills.

This is asking a lot of list posters who are on the list to communicate -
not manage.  Over time this reinforcing cycle breaks down the foundations
of the environment, the extropy list, and the only choice is to terminate
the list or transform it into something new.

Greg Burch commented yesterday that “a wide-open forum is a relic of the
Cretaceous period of the Internet.  The size of the net has probably grown
by 8 or 9 orders of magnitude since the Early Days when the list was
open.  I'm grateful it was back then, but it's time to change.”

Max More said today: “When the Extropians e-mail list began 15 years ago --
an eon in Internet time -- posters were intensely enthusiastic people who
clearly shared a core set of values and goals. Few people outside the list
had the necessary information or inclination to participate. Years passed.
Some time ago, we changed the name of the list to "Extropy-Chat" to reflect
the much looser collection of posters and content.

”Now is the time to change the list again. Many other e-mail lists now
exist where people can chat about any topic imaginable. Extropy Institute
and its principals have moved on to more focused, solutions-oriented,
practical thinking. A chat list fits poorly with that shift.

”It is time to terminate this list, or radically transform it, depending on
how you look at it. I favor an invitation-only list so as to maximize the
quality of postings. If feasible, read-only status will also be an option.
I say: the List is dead! Long live the list!”

I look forward to seeing you in the future!

Natasha

The best defense is ProAction!

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective.
Buckminster Fuller