[extropy-chat] META: ExI List Quality & Future

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 23:18:59 UTC 2006

On 2/19/06, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2006, at 12:36 PM, Dirk Bruere wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > I rather doubt it since I do not expect to be invited.
> > Essentially, what you propose is to cut all social interaction
> > between ordinary members, especially anything that fosters dissent.
> > In addition, to narrowly define what are, and are not, suitable
> > topics.
> >
> > IMO it's a recipe for disaster from the POV of ExI membership.
> > If that happens I'm gone, invitation or not.
> >

> If you would leave just over the attempt to come up with a better way
> of doing things then why are you here in the first place?
>
> - samantha

On 2/19/06, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2006, at 12:36 PM, Dirk Bruere wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > I rather doubt it since I do not expect to be invited.
> > Essentially, what you propose is to cut all social interaction
> > between ordinary members, especially anything that fosters dissent.
> > In addition, to narrowly define what are, and are not, suitable
> > topics.
> >
> > IMO it's a recipe for disaster from the POV of ExI membership.
> > If that happens I'm gone, invitation or not.
> >

> If you would leave just over the attempt to come up with a better way

Not the attempt - the proposed solution dangled before us by Natasha.

of doing things then why are you here in the first place?

To interact with the *all* the members who want to post, mostly with regards
to *opinions*.
I seldom see technical stuff here I don't get elsewhere. The tech
discussions on physics, chem, computers, electronics, qualia, Godel etc are
things that in general I am very familiar with and would not miss in the
slightest. I find regurgitated news items boring. People should just sub to
Kurzweil or various journals if they want it first hand.

Dirk