[extropy-chat] Mangled Worlds

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Fri Feb 24 21:22:44 UTC 2006

At 04:00 PM 2/24/2006, you wrote:
> >>I really have a hard time visualizing any way in which quantum mangling
> >>would correspond to experienced "mangling".  I think there may be a
> >>runaway metaphor here.
> >
> > The question is the speed of the mangling process.  If it were as
> slow as the
> > time it takes a hammer to kill your brain, then your brain would similarly
> > compute your death.   If it only took a nanosecond, you wouldn't notice it.
>
>I don't understand.  What exactly happens slowly?

Worlds in essence follow a random walk in relative size while the drift in a
configuration space.  When two worlds get close enough in configuration
space the smaller world suffers a perturbation that depends on the relative
sizes of the worlds.  The question is how fast worlds drift in the
configuration
space and how quickly the interaction falls off with "distance" in the
configuration space.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323