[extropy-chat] Total Solar Eclipse March 29, 2006

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sat Feb 25 20:58:45 UTC 2006

Natasha:
>Okay Gina - here is your Birthday Gift. But my birthday is today and I'd
>like a ski trip to Aspen or Telluride. :-)

Happy Birthday, Natasha!

This year I'm celebrating my birthday in Turkey. Nature gave me a
extra nice place and event with which to celebrate (and the cost is
low).

On Wednesday, 2006 March 29, a total eclipse of the Sun will be
visible from within a narrow corridor which traverses half the Earth.
The path of the Moon's umbral shadow begins in Brazil and extends
across the Atlantic, northern Africa, and central Asia where it ends
at sunset in western Mongolia. A partial eclipse will be seen within
the much broader path of the Moon's penumbral shadow, which includes
the northern two thirds of Africa, Europe, and central Asia.

Duration: ~~2.5-3.5 minutes, but the most glorious minutes you can imagine.

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEmono/TSE2006/TSE2006.html

Maps:
http://www.solareclipsesturkey.com/nasa.php

I'll be somewhere between Urgup and Konya:
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEmono/TSE2006/TSE2006fig/TSE2006-fig13a.GIF

Others are preparing a webcast:
http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/sun/atmosphere/solar_eclipse_2006.html

and doing science:
http://www.hrcglobal.net/astro/solar-eclipse2006-prog.asp

Turkey-specific solar eclipse information:
http://newton.physics.metu.edu.tr/~aat/TSE2006/TSE2006.html

Questions about taking a trip to Turkey:
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/index.html

Places to stay in the totality region are pretty booked, so if one
is thinking to go, decide soon.

Views of the Area
-------------------

Pre-eclipse, entering Turkey, to whet the appetite
(Istanbul is one of my favorite cities)

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/photo_galleries/index.html
http://www.amara.com/athousand/Onethousandandone.html

Konya
The Sufi poet Rumi was born here, and there is a dervish tradition
based here because of that fact.
http://www.pbase.com/dosseman/konya_turkey

Cappadocia:
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/photo_galleries/cappadocia/index.html

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/