[extropy-chat] META: Subject Line Mechanics

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sun Feb 26 21:27:09 UTC 2006

At 12:12 PM 2/26/2006, Lee wrote:

>Can someone tell me what happens when subject lines are changed?
>In particular, suppose that one politely alters a subject line
>by use of the "(was: XXXX)" construction---and then later removes
>the parenthetical expression altogether, thus completing the
>change.
>
>I have always supposed that we did that for two reasons: one, to
>alert posters following a certain thread that relevant discussion
>is continuing under another name, and two, so that the archival
>machinery follows the change.  Is that wrong?

And three, and three, which is a subset of one, a respectful alert to
original thread author that the thread's intent is being changed.

>Moreover, does anyone have a strong suggestion about what our
>convention here should be?

To stick to the intention of the thread and if going in a new direction to
change the thread subject line and use (was:...) after the new
subject.  When the new subject takes off, the (was:...) is dropped.  There
is no specific number of posts or time frame for posts.

Posts about the list, or its rules, should have the pre-fix "META:" We
encourage the use of other prefixes indicating the content of a post.
Examples include, PHIL:, MATH:, SCI:, CHAT:, ARTS:, etc.

Since the topic of discussion on the list can change constantly within a
single thread, we ask that the subject lines change accordingly. If you
feel that a thread is going off the original topic, that's perfectly fine,
but please change the subject line to let all list readers know what the
topic has become.

>As always, change outdated subject lines, please.

Yes.  Thanks for the reminder.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha<http://www.natasha.cc/>
<http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist - Designer
Future Studies, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Member, <http://www.profuturists.com/>Association of Professional Futurists
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective. - Buckminster Fuller