[extropy-chat] Stress (was RE: Failure of low-fat diet)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Tue Feb 28 03:50:54 UTC 2006

Question for Rafal, and Robin who actually wrote

> Here is one explanation that has a plausible mechanism and
> isn't clearly contradicted by the data.   Mammals invoke
> the stress response in situations they consider stressful,
> which helps the devote energy to their muscles at the expense
> of other systems such as the immune system.   This reduces
> long term health.

I wondered "what is stress?" and found

    Stress can be any unspecific demand to adapt to a critical
    situation within a very short time. This has been described
    as "fight-or-flight" reaction (Walter Cannon). Our body
    reacts in a way that has been developed in primeval times,
    very well suited to run away, react very fast or hunt a
    wild animal.
    These physiological adjustment reactions have been described by the
    Canadian stress researcher Selye. Their purpose is to stimulate the
    bodily functions for a short time (30 minutes) in case of
    emergency. So the body reacts to any kind of loads, stress or
    adaptability requirements in a very similar way:
        * Acceleration of the heart rate, better perfusion
        * Increase of the blood pressure
        * Increase of the ventilation (hyperventilation)
        * Better perfusion of muscles
        * Change of blood-clotting
        * The skin becomes tense

Gee! That sounds a lot like the effect of exercise, or stimulating discussion,
or even studying (say with the help of caffeine).

So to what extent is there a tradeoff :-(   between vigorously enjoying life
and long life?

Lee

P.S. As always, replies from anyone are invited, not just the two posters mentioned.