[extropy-chat] personal display

Herb Martin HerbM at learnquick.com
Sat Jan 7 16:03:10 UTC 2006

Russell Wallace wrote>>
>>I've been to movies with polaroid-glass 3D, and they never quite work; you
always get a headache trying to keep both eyes locked on the scene; it was
that way 15-20 years ago, is still that way now. Does anyone know why that
happens, and whether it's intrinsic, or something that could in principle be
fixed but will be unaffordable for the near future, or something that will
likely be fixed with foreseeable progress?<<

Two reasons that I know of (there may be more):

1) You must keep your head essentially level or it changes the
relationship between your two eyes.  Normally we unconsciously
shift our head, tilting it slightly, turning a bit left or right.

2) Reduction in light (this may have changed since I haven't
seen one lately due to the various effects) since the polarization
reduces light to each eye and generally the projectors have do
NOT have increased power/light to compensate.  Shows tend to
be "dark".

Glasses (or something similar) for the projectors are the likely
best path to improvement:  beam the two signals directly onto
the retina.  This has been possible (safely) for 5 years or more
but the price, size(comfort), and resolution/'screen' size.

(That is, they were stuck at VGA and below for quite a while,
but in principle this can go to much higher resolution with
very small advances in the technology.)

--
Herb Martin

  _____