[extropy-chat] Ice cores show warming 'natural' (or not)

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Sat Jan 7 18:05:52 UTC 2006

Isn't is possible that the increased carbon dioxide in the world has
increased the growth of ocean phytoplankton and other land plants which in
turn use the carbon dioxide replacing it with oxygen.

It would also make sense that this same level of compensation would not
occur at the poles due to the large percentatage of ice coverage and harsher
climate.

I did some Googling and found a 2001 project by Greensea Venture planned to
even further accelerate the growth of phytoplankton by fertilizing stretches
of ocean with iron.  It sounded like they getting DOE funding and planned on
seeing project results sometime in 2003.

I never found the results of the research although it sounded like they were
getting some resistence from envionmental opponents worried that the effects
could have unwanted effects on the environment.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/NATURE/01/23/paradise.dump/