[extropy-chat] The Fifth Singularity and benefits of murder

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 17:04:22 UTC 2006

--- Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>
wrote:
> The reasoning explaining why the ability to kill and
> devour is the
> basis for all eukaryotic complexity is really worth
> reading, as is the
> whole book.

Interesting perspective, Rafal, but let us not forget
that metaphyta, otherwise known as the plant kingdom,
are eukaryotes as well. And if it weren't for them,
the "killers" could not use their mitochondria to
breath. I think that chloroplasts are therefore
probably every bit as important as mitochondria in the
shaping of eukaryotic complexity. Furthermore as much
eukaryotic complexity is derived from the need NOT to
be killed and eaten as is derived from the need to
kill and eat. The gazelle runs to escape the cheetah
and the cheetah runs to escape starvation. Both run to
survive.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)