[extropy-chat] [Memetic Bomb] Re:Runaway consumerism explains the Fermi Paradox.

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 04:06:30 UTC 2006

Wow, this post overloaded my truth meter. Great first
post, Harry, even if it was forwarded from Julian. ;)
So how is Slippery Jim these days or do I have you
confused with someone else?

Kudos, Julian, this completely deconstructs the
nameless dread I have of consumerism and tried to
fumble around for with my posts on the NeoCon Mind
Trick. Use technology to manipulate the emotions of
the people and, even in a democracy, they will oppress
themselves.

--- Harry Harrison <xyz at iq.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 07:24:14 +1100, "Julian Assange"
> <me at iq.org> said:
> > Dear Unsheeple,
> >
> > What do guitars, lollies, lipstick, tamagotchis,
> padded bras,
> > pornography, movies, opium, Ever Quest, and 98% of
> any Australian
> > newspaper in common? They are all technologies of
> emmotional
> > manipulation which distort our perceptions for the
> benefit of their
> > masters. Language centres in our neocortex may
> claim to "know" they
> > are fake, but these words only feebly supress
> those primitive areas of
> > the brain which give rise to our feelings, colour
> our memories and
> > command our attention. These non-verbal areas of
> the brain haven't yet
> > evolved to deal such sensory sophistry. For them,
> sensing IS believing.
> >
> > Hence the feelings in a young woman's breast
> buffeted by the flashing
> > lights and impossibly sonorous tones of the
> amplified rock star; master
> > of a 20 KiloWatt Adam's apple and by inference a
> super man having the
> > chest cavity of God. Hence the dilated pupils and
> other organs of a man
> > glancing at photons from the gentle curves of
> pigments on matted wood
> > fibres, a pattern of vision that once meant love
> was not only in the air
> > but ready and willing, prostrate on the ground.
> Hence the wariness of
> > the horror movie attendee when returning home and
> opening the door of
> > what was, and infact still is, a pefectlty
> innocent closet. Hence
> > understanding
> > Neighbors instead of neighbors and having Friends
> instead of friends.
> > Hence the poker machine addict. Hence the dramatic
> rise in the economic
> > take of powerful industries built around using
> advances in technology to
> > stuff our heads with false feelings and memories.
> Not content to be zero
> > sum, in exchange for our wealth and time these
> industries generally
> > leave us less able to function by decalibrating
> our emotional and
> > intellectual repore with reality.
> >
> > "But, I like it you cold hearted Lutheran, you
> Stoic, you stone mason,
> > you Zeno loving stick in the mud!". Well
> naturally, since the whole game
> > is to manipulate your feelings, it is not
> suprising that you have
> > positive feelings about your perceptual opium, is
> is, after all, what
> > keeps you going back to your dealer.
> >
> > Such deceptions, previously known as "Art", as in
> "Artifice" or
> > "Artful" have a long history of successful human
> parasitation. But the
> > industrial control of and rapid advances in the
> ability to successfully
> > falsify sense data has no historical analog. I
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)