[extropy-chat] circumcision

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:08:21 UTC 2006

I think it's a bit ridiculous to not perform the procedure because an infant
can't give consent. Will you wait until he's old enough to consent to
vaccinations? Or blood transfusions? Or to donate a kidney to a dying twin?
Parents are stewards of children and able and responsible to make important
decisions.

Would you make the decision to alter a baby's genes to improve intelligence,
or to improve muscle growth or to improve their immune system if it involved
a few minutes of pain that will not be remember after an hour?

As for the trauma. At that age, the act of circumcision is not remembered
and there are no credible studies to suggest that this pain affects the
child. Think about it, 8 days ago the baby was pushed out of its mother
which is much more painful than circumcision.

BAL