[extropy-chat] next generation of ion engines

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 08:55:30 UTC 2006

Without directly meaning to be a "killjoy", what is it precisely that you
are trying to accomplish?  It makes sense (at least now) to propose long
duration missions with ion thrusters.  But it makes no sense if you have the
power output of the sun (10^26W) at your disposal.  So precisely what is the
window you are targeting and what do you intend to do with it?

Though we probably do not like to discuss it there *is* a point in the
development in the singularity where later launched spacecraft will have
resources at their disposal that significantly exceed the capabilities of
spacecraft launched at an earlier time.  Recognizing that suggests that the
development of the "earlier" spacecraft is relatively pointless.

I would agree that it is cool that we have more efficient ion thrusters.  I
am just frustrated that there does not seem to be a really robust discussion
with respect to the use of such.

Robert