[extropy-chat] On difficult choices (was: Books: Harris; Religion and Reason)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Jan 14 19:35:43 UTC 2006

On Jan 14, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Russell Wallace wrote:

> On 1/14/06, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> I read this article.  Not to put too fine a point on it, I found it
> laughable.  Religious faith is not going to save the West and
> secularism sure as hell isn't dooming it.  As much as I think
> welfare statism is evil and dangerous I can't in honesty lay the
> blame there except as a large contributory drain on the economy and
> on the character of the people.   The notion that we must reproduce
> more this close to Singularity is the biggest laugh of all.
>
> Out of curiosity, how close to the Singularity do you think we are?

About one generation away if we don't do something stupid.  Of late I
think the odds of us doing something catastrophically stupid are
higher than the odds of Singularity by a growing margin.  That is not
a happy conclusion.  I also believe that the Singularity is
increasingly much more likely to come out of the East rather than the
West.

- samantha