[extropy-chat] POLITIK IN THE WTA... symbolic of a fundamental human defect

Lifespan Pharma/Morris Johnson CTO megao at sasktel.net
Sun Jan 15 04:19:40 UTC 2006

Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

>I find that Jose didn't need to use invective against James. Calling
>him a "scorpion" is unseemly. However drastically I disagree with his
>worldview, and his way of running the WTA discussion lists, there is
>no place for such words in civilized discourse.

As human connectivity converges it will be interesting to see how
philosophical differences can continue to co-exist.
This may be the single biggest challenge of the singularity.
How to allow for the co-existance of diverse world views.

Virtualization of many radical and bizzare worldscapes might
compartmentalize some, but who or how can it be
determined what is to be discouraged and what is to be allowed to run
unfettered in a segregated domain.

Most humans might eventually want to experience all possible divergent
and bizzare lifestyles conceivable
if they can return to their own thoughtspace to reflect and continue
forward, sort of like going to movies.

As with ST type holodeck programs , which should be able to gain
physical existance, and which
should remain virtually imprisoned to the holodeck?

Will posthumanity succeed in a social sense or will it be necessary to
become like Vulcans to survive without
a philisophical WAR of Minds the likes of which we can barely concieve of.

Will we develop a symbiotic duality between a rational entity and a
social entity.  Might we relegate our social side to a holodeck world of
experiences  and
only allow our rational entity to have a physical existance.

Immortality might become our undoing if these issues are not properly
dealt with before any singularity occurs.