[extropy-chat] nuclear non-proliferation as energy strategy ?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Jan 17 19:35:43 UTC 2006

We slap a label on a country and expect the normal rules not to
apply.  Very neat.  A much scarier country that already has nukes is
Pakistan.   But they are our good buds.  Israel is a major
international outlaw by the number and scope of UN resolutions they
have violated but they have had nukes since at least the sixties and
are one of the most heavily militarized countries per capita on the
planet.  All secular folks in Israel are bound by law to support a
huge and growing religious caste.   The religious caste has
tremendous power.  Israel is arguably not a secular State in
practice.  Yet they are certainly our good friends.  So the issue
does not seem to come down to a State being in good repute or being
in its government cleanly secular.   State involved in terrorism?
Saudi Arabia is heavily involved in terrorism.  Most of the 911
hijackers were Saudi.  But they are also our buds.  We even edited
out the parts of the 911 commission report that might have made them
look bad.   So tell me again why Iran having nuclear power and maybe
some day being able to produce nuclear bombs is a major crisis.

- samantha