[extropy-chat] Re: [wta-talk] The mixed blessing of silence

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 05:48:20 UTC 2006

I agree with most of what Eliezer says here, in particular that
"shutting off the sensor that lights up to indicate the problem" does
not solve the problem itself. I also think conflicts are not
necessarily bad things - conflicts on *issues* that do not degenerate
in pointless personal battles, and are faced with a constructive
attitude by all parties involved, are often opportunities for growth.
I think it is perfectly possible to find good solutions to well posed
problems even starting from different positions on politics,
philisophy, religion or thai food.
But I believe the most recent example of flame war is nothing but big
ego trips masquerading as disagreement over politics or how
transhumanist organizations should be run, where the primary objective
is not finding a good way to do things better but rather scoring
points against some or some other opponent. For this, I really do not
have time.
G.