[extropy-chat] next generation of ion engines

Dennis Roberts live2scan at charter.net
Mon Jan 23 20:18:01 UTC 2006

I guess you haven't read their site. Sure the most altitude they've reached
is ONLY in the neighborhood of 100k feet. They are hoping to develop an
ascender to regularly climb to much higher altitudes. Then they want to
setup a permanent facility where a craft that can reach both orbital
altitude and velocity can be constructed. A ship that will never be able to
land but doesn't require an initial high velocity to achieve orbit is what
they aspire to build. It's an AIRSHIP, just floatin' along to start, but at
a high enough altitude that an ion engine can operate to accelerate it,
slowly. It will (hopefully) be able to return to its starting point the same
way- no flaming re-entry needed.