Perpetuities (was Re: [extropy-chat] WSJ: A Cold Calculus Leads Cryonauts To Put Assetson Ice)

Keith M. Elis zarathustra_winced at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 04:30:20 UTC 2006

The heirs (in the US) have a case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_against_perpetuities

"About half of the states in the United States follow the Uniform
Statutory Rule Against Perpetuities, which gives a grantor 90 years for
the interest to vest. If the interest does not vest to some life in
being within 90 years, the grant will be reformed judicially so it does
vest."

The common law rule is more generous.

Regardless, I would be pretty surprised to see the first-ever 'revival
trust' (I wonder if I just coined that...) interpreted by the courts to
allow an indefinite perpetuity. Anyway, it would be a very interesting
case. The evidentiary record alone would be valuable as a showcase for
the best scientific evidence for and against the possibility of
post-cryonic reanimation.

Keith