[extropy-chat] dalai lama's attitude towards human enhancement

Neil H. neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 08:04:37 UTC 2006

In all fairness though, that's just a quote from his interpreter, not the
Dalai Lama himself.

The Dalai Lama did give some interesting comments at the recent Society for
Neuroscience conference, though. A portion of a rough write-up from
neurodudes:

http://neurodudes.com/2005/11/12/his-holinesss-message-better-living-through-chemicals-or-electrodes/

Wants chemical or electrical ways to change negative emotions
"Everybody needs that." (sweet!) Hatred, jealousy, little operation here and
there and it's all gone. (seriously sweet!) His Holiness wants to be the
first patient. Looks like he wants the drugs/electrodes to save some time:
"I spend a few hours in meditation every day, [if we get neuroscience-based
englightenment] then no need for these things."