[extropy-chat] Cryonics and uploading.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Thu Jan 26 18:32:51 UTC 2006

Bret Kulakovich Wrote:

> even though it is a duplicate of the original,
> it is not the original, no matter how perfect

How do you know? If the copy is perfect then how do you know it is not the
"original", how do you know somebody didn't copy you last night and
destroyed the "original", how do you know that you are not a "copy"?

I think it's pointless to include a lot of restrictions on exactly how a
cryonics patient is to be repaired; they'll do what they want to do
regardless. If the Jupiter Brains of the future can think of a reason to do
anything at all with your frozen body they will almost certainly reanimate
you as a upload. They won't want us using up a lot of resources in the
"real" world and they would probably be a bit squeamish about letting us
fool around at that level of reality, like letting a monkey run around in an
operating room. They'll want a firewall to protect themselves from our
stupidity.

But if you have a known history of disliking the idea of uploading and Mr.
Jupiter is kind he'll upload you anyway, he just won't tell you you're an
upload and you'll never know the difference.

  John K Clark