[extropy-chat] Cryonics and uploading

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Fri Jan 27 17:21:58 UTC 2006

starman2100 at cableone.net

> I believe the term Robert Ettinger uses for describing the continuity of
> the consciousness is the "self-circuit."

Ettinger has been pushing that tired old idea for years and I think it's
really silly. I have a sense of self so I must have a self circuit, my radio
can play Beethoven so it must have a Beethoven circuit. Pretty Silly.

Also Ettinger's circuit doesn't do a damn thing except give us a sense of
self, so if we have one then Evolution is wrong because it could never have
produced it in a million years, or a billion, or a trillion, or a trillion
trillion.  In fact "self circuit" is just a euphemism for the Soul.

> A favorite analogy of mine regarding the question, "is a perfect copy of
> me, actually me?

Did I read your original message on my computer or only a copy? Perhaps if
I'd read your ORIGINAL message it would have convinced me,
as it is I only saw a lowly copy.

   John K Clark