[extropy-chat] Semantics + Re: Identity and becoming a Great Old One

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Fri Jan 27 18:54:34 UTC 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Jeff Medina wrote:

> On 1/27/06, Bret Kulakovich <bret at bonfireproductions.com> wrote:
>> Yes, there are a few flavors of Dualism, but they are all based on
>> Plato,
>
> In any sense other than that of the trivial "all philosophy is a
> footnote to Plato" platitude, this claim is false.

That the mind and body are separate, which is important in the
context of the Threaded thread - regardless of how much I have
simplified exactly for your terms below - is actually a part of each
form of Dualism. As I am sure you are aware given your .sig

>> the pattern view you are talking about is pretty much Neutral
>> Monism. The
>> threaded view is a type of dualism, and in some extreme examples
>> arguably
>> Parallelism or (egh) Phenominalism.
>
> While they may seem similar to you, that the pattern & threaded views
> reduce to types of these others is (1) arguable, and hence would
> require quite a bit of tangential discussion to establish, with little
> foreseeable value in so doing, and (2) pointless, as there are many
> nuances to different philosophers' variants of general terms like
> dualism, monism, neutral monism, etc., so people would still need to
> clarify what they meant by "phenomenalism", leading to the very same
> discussion of the threaded view that is currently going on.

Jeff, I'm pretty sure internet mailing lists are generally defined by
(1) and (2).

>> So hey- If  you get a chance, I am not asking to be catered to -
>> it would
>> help a great deal all involved if the distinctions between
>> Threaded and
>> Patterned, Dualism and Monism could be illustrated by examples
>> that would
>> not make them so.
>
> Introducing these various terms will only serve to confuse the
> discussion, because a lot of people have half-baked, half-read
> understandings of them, and people will be forced to respond again and
> again to misdirected comments based on different conceptions of the
> broad philosophical terms.
>
> I therefore strongly recommend *not* introducing these terms. In fact,
> I may just add them to my auto-trash filter, along with q-ualia and
> f-ree will.

Can you point me to anything - something at SIAI perhaps, on the
Threaded/Patterned topic? I'm obviously not the first person to make
the comparison. If you won't even allow idle discussion to lead to
clarity for some internet crank, what on earth will you do about peer
review? As a Community Director I would think you would want people
to introduce the terms so that we could all leave with the same
understanding?

from the bottom of your killfile,
Cheers,
Bret K.