Faith-based thought vs thinkers Re: [extropy-chat]IntelligentDesign: I'm not dead yet

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 00:11:39 UTC 2006

On 1/30/06, Russell Wallace wrote:
>  And if I were to draw a dividing line in the sands of philosophy and choose
> one side to make a stand against the other, I wouldn't draw it between those
> who believe in God and those who do not. I would draw it between those who
> believe in beauty and truth and goodness - whether or not God is part of
> their belief system - and those who do not.

Hey, this is Plato talking, isn't it?

Quote:
Plato believes in the existence of absolute truth, goodness, and
beauty. Beyond our fuzzy and confused view of things is the reality of
eternal standards and structures. There are many (more or less) good
things; there is one absolute good. There are many (more or less)
beautiful things; there is one absolute beauty. There are many (more
or less) just persons; there is one absolute justice (idea or ideal of
justice). The attainment of absolute truth, goodness, and beauty is
impossible for humans, but the belief that they exist and a glimpse of
them from time to time in a rare moment of insight is what motivates
us to think, inquire, deliberate, and strive.
End quote.

This is Plato's Theory of Forms, which is pretty well fundamental to
Western Philosophy. (Although much criticised and amended nowadays).

BillK