[extropy-chat] Psychology of investments in infrastructure

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Jul 3 16:36:48 UTC 2006

On Jun 27, 2006, at 11:20 AM, spike wrote:

> In Taxifornia, most native English speakers pick up basic Spanish
> by seeing
> signs posted in both languages.  Everywhere in the maternity hospital,
> everything had Spanish.  But I saw something I had never seen in
> America: a
> sign posted in Spanish only.

I think this is a travesty.  The "melting pot" is no longer
maintained or seen as a good thing.  We the people splinter. We don't
talk so much any more about what is good for America or Americans.
We talk instead about what is good for this or that  racial, ethnic,
religious, gender, sexuality, or other subgroup.  It is as if we have
absorbed the old Marxist teaching of lack of common truth and believe
only in our separate subgroup truth.   With heavy identity with one's
"tribe" individuality is lost.

- samantha