[extropy-chat] Fwd: SURVIVAL: An impulse behind transhumanism?

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 3 19:45:33 UTC 2006

From: Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com

>Mere survival does not say much about the development of
>transhumanism or most ideologies.  Humans in large numbers have
>sacrificed even survival to their ideologies.

For these people, survival means their ideology survives, not themselves.
Survival does have a different impacts and meanings and is not necessarily
synonymous with overcoming physical death.  For many the body is just a
vehicle and the spirit survives the body.

> So it seems clear that
>'survival' is a poor candidate by itself.  It also leaves open a
>question or two such as "survival as what and on what terms"?

For transhumanists survival is based on the motivation to overcome death.

>If we say transhumanism is about survival others will cry out that their
>survival as themselves and the survival of what they care most about
>requires them to utterly oppose us.

I don’t think transhumanism is interested in interfering with other's
beliefs as long as those beliefs do not impinge on transhumanism.

Natasha

http://mail2web.com/ .