[extropy-chat] Music for little transhumans (was: SURVIVAL: An impulse behind transhumanism?)

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Tue Jul 4 04:37:45 UTC 2006

spike:
>We have a CD player that hangs on his crib.  We played for
>him Shaker music with hammered dulcimer and english horn, called Simple
>Gifts by Coulter and Phillips.

My father used to sing this ditty to us (my sisters and I) when I was little.
If you want, I can sing it to Isaac:

http://www.amara.com/aboutme/ugunskurs.au

the words are here (Latvian)
http://www.amara.com/aboutme/latdidley.html

The Latvian words might confuse him, but the Latvians have been singing [1,2]
for a few thousand years, through wars, multiple occupations and
50 years of forced communism. Singing was vital to keeping their culture
intact through all of that, so I figure they are on to something.

I found a site recently of Latvian folk songs for my colleague to
perform with his folk band on period instruments. Very simple songs,
but the songs might help Isaac settle too:

ftp://folklora.lv/pub/mp3/

Amara

[1]
http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/2005-January/012477.html
[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dainas  (Google 'Latvian Dainas' for more)

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/