[extropy-chat] Morford: Crazy Healers Enter the World

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Tue Jul 4 17:36:55 UTC 2006

Olga:
>Yes, but ... IMO this is one Morford *should* have been slamming.  (Is his
>hope for more "trappings?")  Bastyr - along with naturopathy - exist in the
>realm of pseudoscience:

Dear Olga,

If you read the article carefully, you'll read about the doctors'
rigorous medical training and that when they graduate, the doctors
produced are those that care about the whole person: lifestyle, etc.
I read nothing negative. The fact that I don't give any credence to
naturopathy didn't detract me from the rest of the article because
Morford was describing the larger field of whole body healing; of which
there are dozens of techniques and approaches from biofeedback to
feldenkrais to osteopathy to massage therapy to accupuncture to diet and
sleep and exercise and psychology and more. The mind and body are an
intricate system which western approaches usually don't know how to
handle together, especially for injuries that involve the whole body.

I have my two years of RSI injury comparing with what the 'western'
doctors offered (cut and slash and medicate), versus what the 'eastern'
doctors offered (whole body everything with me an active participant).
If I followed what the western doctors offered to me during those years
that I was healing myself, then I would be minus several tendons in both
wrists, would be having ongoing pain in the upper half of my body
and severe disability for daily tasks, and I wouldn't be typing this
message today.

http://www.amara.com/aboutme/rsi.html
(that's my hand)

Amara

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/