[extropy-chat] SURVIVAL: An impulse behind transhumanism?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Jul 4 21:10:02 UTC 2006

On Jun 30, 2006, at 8:04 AM, Natasha Vita-More wrote:

> At 12:58 AM 6/30/2006, Brandon wrote:
>> > Someone asked me recently what the impulse behind transhumanism
>> was.  I said survival.
>>
>> Transhumanists seek not just to survive, but to transcend and to
>> become something more than merely human.
>
> Yes, although I am looking at the "impulse" that motivates the
> desires.  Improving the human condition is what transhumanism is
> actively seeking to accomplish.  Why if it is not driven by the
> impulse to survive?

Since you have posited that survival is the underlying motivator, you
need to answer a similar question.  The "impulse" to thrive, to have
life, yes, but to have it more abundantly is an extremely strong
driver.  It is what brought me to transhumanism.  It was only much
latter that the argument that we must significantly change or perish
came into focus for me.   Most people discount motivation from
purported threats to survival until the evidence is overwhelming.
Witness global warming.   When people are motivated by survival fears
they often do not do their best and certainly not their most
compassionate thinking.  Witness the "war on terror".

- samantha