[extropy-chat] Libertarian paternalism

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Jul 4 21:24:49 UTC 2006

On Jul 2, 2006, at 7:38 PM, Damien Sullivan wrote:

> http://gsbwww.uchicago.edu/fac/richard.thaler/research/LIbpatLaw.pdf
>
> Cass Sunsteina and Richard Thaler defend what they call libertarian
> paternalism, on grounds of bounded rationality.

Ha!   If they put those two words together in one phrase one may be
quite sure that their rationality is [very] bounded indeed.  Such
steering of choice amounts to a likely imposition of force
incompatible with libertarianism.  It also to some degree derails
feedback from reality on the micro level of individual choices.   It
would require superior relatively all wise "parents" capable of
mapping decisions and consequences better than local actors.   We
have seen just how well such centralized "benevolence" works in
practice.   For humans to be acting as the "parents" also has well
known temptations and tendencies to major corruption and eventual
oppression.

- samantha