[extropy-chat] My Dilemma

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 16:20:24 UTC 2006

On 7/6/06, Russell Wallace wrote:
> On 7/6/06, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > To date, people as a whole choose road deaths in preference to car
> > driving restrictions.
> >

>  There are a great many restrictions on car driving, most of them enacted
> with the specific rationale of reducing road deaths.

Oooohhhh! You naughty troll!   :)

You can pass as many traffic laws as you like, but if some people
ignore them and continue speeding, running red lights, drink driving,
mobile phoning while driving, and generally breaking the rules of the
road when they feel like it - then in practice people are choosing
roads deaths and injuries in preference to restricting their car
driving behaviour.
The belief behind this behaviour is, of course, 'It'll never happen to me'.

And *really* restricting car drivers, like computer control / GPS to
never exceed speed limits, sobriety tests in every car, phone
disconnect while the engine is running, cameras on *every* red light,
etc. etc. would never be accepted. The majority vote is that 40,000
deaths and 200,000 injuries per year are not sufficient to justify
enforcing real restrictions.

BillK