[extropy-chat] My Dilemma

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 12:08:17 UTC 2006

On 7/7/06, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Again, I'm still waiting for a list of of goodies to come
> out of the Iraq lunacy. Surely, given the price tag and the
> number of dead people (100 k victims in the Lancet study
> has turned out to be an estimate on the low side), it
> must be something really really good.

You're missing the point, Eugen.

The WWII leap forward in technology does not in anyway justify
(validate, excuse, vindicate) the ruinous expense or the 62 million
dead (37 million civilian, 25 million military).
It is just a side effect of the war effort.

Similarly the expense and the deaths of the Iraq war cannot be
justified by the new tech that will come out of that war effort.

But the new tech will still appear regardless.

BillK