[extropy-chat] What Happened to "the Blight"?

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Sun Jul 9 21:06:47 UTC 2006

Speaking, as we were in the thread about intelligence dominating space, it seems likely to me that our genuine altruism and love of
cooperation is just a byproduct of the way primate groups happen to function. Bengal tigers function otherwise.

A good dramatization of a grasping, solitary intelligence was Vernor Vinge's "Blight" in "A Fire Beyond the Deep". This transhuman
intelligence had been contained, somehow, eons ago near its resting place in the lower Beyond. Then someone got in and monkeyed with
it, and it was on the loose again, posing a great threat to all of us poor folk in the slow zone.

How exactly did Vinge send in the cavalry at the end? Something about a great wave of *slowness* that engulfed the many lightyears
of the Blight's locale?

Lee