[extropy-chat] What is "war" (was: My Dilemma)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Jul 10 07:35:52 UTC 2006

On Jul 7, 2006, at 5:59 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> So you're agreeing that ROI on war is horribly low,
> and you'd get two or three orders of magnitude of
> better return on investment, if you'd avoid a war,
> and invest directly into R&D instead?

How about backing up a couple more steps and define "war".

Several thousand years ago, the definition was relatively simple as a
matter of practical circumstance and largely revolved around a few
brutes beating on each other for the privilege of rape and pillage.
Fast forward to modern times and the practical reality has blurred
enough that there is no obvious delineation or definition of what is
war and what it is not, even practically.  Sure, some things still
*look*  kind of war-like, but I would argue that those are legacy
vestiges shortly doomed to be historical artifacts.  There are many
activities that generate the functional result of wars without the
body count, and it does not take much of an active imagination to
envision devastating "wars" where there is little or no body count.

What, precisely, makes war "war"?  It is thrown about as a suitcase
term filled with a lot of negativity, but it does not mean anything
for the purposes of this discussion.  Are all outcomes not the result
of war if no one dies?  I think not.  How much individual autonomy
must be restricted before a situation becomes "war"?  Given the
current state of the world, it is hard to think of a definition that
is a superset of body count that does *not* put most of us on the
battlefield with consistent application.  Body counts suck, but there
is more than one way to skin a camel that do not require body counts
per se.

The amount of warfare has not declined, just the body count (and even
that may be temporary).  If merely reducing the body count makes one
think they are winning the war, it just means they are fighting the
last war and losing the current one.  Sun Tzu would respect that
people and governments can win all manner of war these days firing
few if any shots, but he would be under no illusions as to whether or
not the activity was "war".

In the big scheme of things, getting over-run by a mob of
bloodthirsty brutes does not even register on the radar, but that is
a recent luxury of the human experience.  It does not mean that human
nature has changed, just the nature of the techniques used to express
that human nature.

J. Andrew Rogers