[extropy-chat] In the Long Run, How Much Does Intelligence Dominate Space?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Jul 10 07:48:38 UTC 2006

On Jul 7, 2006, at 5:47 AM, Robin Hanson wrote:
> I don't think you appreciate the possible complexities.   I'm saying
> that if I look at a complex future world, I'm not sure how to
> divide it up into "individuals."

More generally, "individuals" are fictions that we arbitrarily
delineate at communication bottlenecks (both latency *and*
bandwidth).  As the communication topology changes with time, so will
the effective definition of "individual", whether it is immediately
recognized or not.

If inter-brain communication was within an order of magnitude of the
technical specs of intra-brain communication, I doubt human organisms
would have much of a concept of "individual" in the same sense that
we do today.

J. Andrew Rogers