[extropy-chat] Nothingness and that Infinite Chain of Causes thingy.

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 20:45:04 UTC 2006

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:49:52 -0400, scerir <scerir at libero.it> wrote:

> The reason that I insist that a Multiverse exists,
> is based on the observations that our Universe
> is approximately 15 Billion years old.
> If Nothingness behaves as I suggest,
> then the first "something" [the first
> Universe if you like] should be infinitely
> (or nearly infinitely) old.

To a layman like myself this seems like a pretty convincing argument.
Please tell me if this paraphrase more or less captures your meaning:

"If ours is not one universe in a multiverse, then its origin would be
infinitely in the past. Instead it seems to have taken [(infinite time) -
(~15 billion years)] for this stable universe of ours to have come into
existence. Moreover, this same argument for the existence of a multiverse
can be made by any scientist/philosopher of any existent universe of any
finite age."

I have to wonder if you are not making an error when you refer to the
supposed behavior of nothingness. How can "nothing" ever "behave" in any
way at all? :) I've tried to eliminate that error in my paraphrase, I hope
not at the expense of your true meaning.

-gts