[extropy-chat] Popper and QT

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 20:15:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:25:23 -0400, Damien Broderick
<thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Popper is widely regarded, partly for this reason, as simply not
> understanding quantum theory.

"In this introduction, I attempt to exorcize the ghost called
'consciousness' or 'the observer' from quantum mechanics, and to show that
quantum mechanics is as 'objective' a theory as, say, classical mechanics.
In the body of this volume, I shall attempt to substantiate my argument in
somewhat greater detail...

...My thesis in this introduction is that the observer, or better, the
experimentalist, plays in quantum theory exactly the same role as in
classical physics. *His task is to test the theory*.

...If a mere philosopher like myself opposes a ruling dogma such as
[Bohr's Copenhagen Interpretation], he must expect not only retaliation,
but even derision and contempt. He may well be brow-beaten..."  [As
apparently he was]

- Karl Popper in his introduction to _Quantum Theory and the Schism in
Physics_

(neat how Amazon.com lets you peek into books before buying them)

-gts