[extropy-chat] Nothingness and that Infinite Chain of Causesthingy.

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 04:30:58 UTC 2006

--- A B <austriaaugust at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   The reason I started this thread was to attempt to
> provide a (debatably) rational explanation for the
> question of: Why does "Anything" exist instead of
> only "Nothing"? without having to fall back on
> something supernatural. If my viewpoint is correct
> (and I don't claim that it definitely is), then it
> makes *possible* that our Universe is entirely
> Deterministic (without being stumped by the
> classical philosophical problem of "infinite causal
> regression").

The rational explanation for the existense of
"anything" is simply that the entropy of "something"
is higher than that of "nothing". There are a great
deal many, perhaps infinite, ways to have "something".
But there is only single way to have "nothing". Thus
nothing is not probabilistically favored be cause it
is too orderly to be at all a thermodynamically stable
state.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"God doesn't play dice with the universe." - Albert Einstein

"Einstein, don't tell God what to do." - Neils Bohr