[extropy-chat] Popper and QT

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 18:43:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:19:01 -0400, scerir <scerir at libero.it> wrote:

Interesting, thanks!

> Kim and Shih performed an experiment similar to Popper's,
> with unexpected results.
> http://www.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9905039

 From the intro to that paper:

"In this paper we wish to report a recent realization of Popper’s thought
experiment. Indeed, it is astonishing to see that the experimental results
agree with Popper’s prediction."

But not having read this one of Popper's books devoted to QT, or having
studied this experiment in detail (from my brief scan of the paper above
it appears Popper was right but perhaps for the wrong reasons), I'll defer
to you and take your word for it that this experiment was not conclusive
proof of and may have no bearing on Popper's objective philosophy of
probability.

No matter, it's hard not to admire Popper's quest for objective truth. :)

-gts