[extropy-chat] Singularity heat waste

George Dvorsky george at betterhumans.com
Fri Jul 14 13:34:34 UTC 2006

This comment was recently posted by "Chris" on my blog (responses welcome):

	"Does anyone know if any work has been done on the subject of how much
waste heat would be generated by a singularity event? I'm thinking in
terms of the fact that all computation, like all physical action,
generates at least some degree of waste heat ( just no getting around
thermodynamics) Assuming our civilization gives rise to a computational
matrix that independently evolves in processing power exponentially,
wouldn't that result in a catastrophic and possibly terminal heat-shock
to the host-biosphere? Maybe that's the fate of all civilizations that
reach singularities. I'd love it if anyone has any ideas to share on
this..."