[extropy-chat] Singularity heat waste

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 14 17:01:53 UTC 2006

Hi George,

  As an indirect response to "Chris": Wouldn't the developing intelligences be aware of the waste-heat problem? If the new intelligences were "unfriendly", it might spell doom for the *biological* intelligences, but I strongly doubt that it would lead to the death of all local intelligences, "Fermi-Paradox" style. I doubt that an SI is going to allow itself to be deep-fried as a byproduct of its own excessively-swift growth.  :-)   Couldn't it/they just "slow down" in order to avoid the problem?

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich

George Dvorsky <george at betterhumans.com> wrote:
  This comment was recently posted by "Chris" on my blog (responses welcome):

"Does anyone know if any work has been done on the subject of how much
waste heat would be generated by a singularity event? I'm thinking in
terms of the fact that all computation, like all physical action,
generates at least some degree of waste heat ( just no getting around
thermodynamics) Assuming our civilization gives rise to a computational
matrix that independently evolves in processing power exponentially,
wouldn't that result in a catastrophic and possibly terminal heat-shock
to the host-biosphere? Maybe that's the fate of all civilizations that
reach singularities. I'd love it if anyone has any ideas to share on
this..."