[extropy-chat] Singularity heat waste

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 19:16:02 UTC 2006

On 7/14/06, Anders Sandberg <asa at nada.kth.se> wrote:
[snip]

> An information gain of 3e44 bits/s is pretty nice. It corresponds to
> filling a 1 m^3 volume with a few kilograms of matter up to the Bekenstein
> limit of information every second. Assuming molecular storage and using
> the solar system mass it will fill its capacity of 1e52 bits in 1e 33e6
> seconds - it will fill up in little over one year. So there you have it,
> given these assumptions.

George, please ignore Anders.  He has fallen into the black hole known as
"theoretical physics" which is a close relative to "imaginary fantasies"
which is probably about what you can expect from someone who was probably
raised being told stories about Valhalla.  His stories should not be
confused with "engineering realities".

When he shows you the *designs* for how one would achieve this, tells you
precisely *how* he intends to manufacture them and *where* he intends to get
the resources from, then, and only then, should you take him seriously.
Until then you should consider his wishful thinking as being related to the
"ideal singularity" or the "fantasy singularity" and not a "real
singularity" that we should reasonably concern ourselves with.

Robert