[extropy-chat] [wta-talk] Fighting mad! (was transhumanist nut jobs &transhumanism going extinct)

mike99 mike99 at lascruces.com
Mon Jul 17 21:53:05 UTC 2006

Stuart,
Thanks for your concern about the reputation of transhumanism. But I
wouldn't worry too much about WIRED's calumny. At least they spelled
"transhumanist" correctly!

Seriously, speaking for myself as one of the WTA Board of Directors, I would
vote against any proposal to sue WIRED for libel in this case. I have two
reasons, one philosophical and one practical:

1) As a matter of political philosophy, I believe that WIRED should be free,
within rather broad limits, to call us whatever they wish. We are also free
to disagree with them and to make our views known as widely as possible.

2) As a practical matter, we do not have the resources of time and money to
expend on a libel case where we have suffered no major harm. Being called a
"nut job" is more a matter of opinion by the WIRED writer, and is harder to
argue against, than if, for example, they had called us "mass murderers" or
"child molesters" which are serious charges that we could easily disprove.

Regards,

Michael LaTorra

mike99 at lascruces.com
mlatorra at nmsu.edu
English Dept., New Mexico State University

Member:
Board of Directors, World Transhumanist Association: www.transhumanism.org
Board of Directors, Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies:
http://ieet.org/
Alcor Life Extension Foundation: www.alcor.org
Society for Universal Immortalism: www.universalimmortalism.org
President, Zen Center of Las Cruces: www.zencenteroflascruces.org