[extropy-chat] SENS challenge on Tech Review

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Wed Jul 19 16:48:24 UTC 2006

Most of you are familiar with Aubrey de Grey and his SENS [1]
(Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence) project.  Many of you
probably also read about Technology Review's cover article on SENS a
year ago, and TR's ensuing challenge[2] to find someone who would write
a convincing argument that the proposal was "so wrong that it was
unworthy of learned debate."  TR appointed a committee (including, among
others, Craig Ventner, Rod Brooks, and Nathan Myhrvold) which reported
last week that none of the submissions they received was convincing.

TR received 5 submissions, of which 3 were determined to be worth
evaluation by the committee.  de Grey wrote responses to each, and the
original authors wrote rebuttals.  The committee identified one of the
submissions as "the most eloquent", but declared than none of them were
convincing.  I read that one [3] in detail, along with de Grey's
response[4] and the rebuttal[5], and posted a review on my blog.[6]

As in early disputes like this (e.g. Sci Am vs. Nanotechnology) the
initial critiques didn't score many points, instead spending most of its
time saying that SENS looks like pseudo-science, and is composed of
fantasy and outright fraud.  de Grey did a fine job of insisting that
the attacks have to be more substantive to show that SENS isn't worth
pursuing.  We'll have to wait a bit longer to see serious attacks on
feasibility, I fear.

Chris

[1] http://www.sens.org/
[2] http://www.technologyreview.com/sens/index.aspx
[3] http://www.technologyreview.com/sens/docs/estepetal.pdf
[4] http://www.technologyreview.com/sens/docs/estepetal_rebuttal.pdf
[5] http://www.technologyreview.com/sens/docs/estepetal_response.pdf
[6] http://pancrit.blogspot.com/2006/07/sens-debate-continued.html

--
It is easy to turn an aquarium into fish soup, but not so
easy to turn fish soup back into an aquarium.

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org