[extropy-chat] FWD [fantasticreality] Nice Summary of Problems of the self-denoted "Cultural Elites"

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jul 23 18:16:34 UTC 2006

As transhuman technologies promise large competitive improvements  and
even radical enhancements beyond current human norms I don't see how we
as transhumanism can deplore the splitting off of subgroups with rather
different capabilities and increasing divergent interests.   After all,
not everyone will choose to or be capable of availing themselves of such
possibilities at once.   I think the 'trick' to what made or makes the
US (for instance) great is that we agree to and uphold inalienable
rights for all human beings.   It is not egalitarianism as some
overarching ideal that binds us but equality of fundamental rights that
binds how we treat and may treat one another.  This equality of rights
does not require any rough equality of abilities, wealth, intelligence,
knowledge or interests.   This  is the cornerstone of freedom and
peaceful co-existence.

- samantha