[extropy-chat] Let's protect these brains! With Antioxidants!

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 17:59:22 UTC 2006

Hi Martin,

  Martin writes: ..."You use as much antioxidants as you need and metabolize or
pass out the rest."

  The fact is, most people do not consume even the tiny daily recommended amounts of Vitamin C, for example. Unlike some other mammalian species, humans don't metabolize their own C. So it must be obtained from the diet, and most humans don't consume nearly enough.

  Martin: "It is useless and potentially unhealthy to consume more than 400 mg in a
single dose, and given that you would only dose three times a day,
~1200 mg/d."

  For the record, I recommended 500mg because I'll be damned if I cant find a stand-alone Vitamin C supplement at a dosage of less than 500mg per pill. (Most seem to be in the 1000mg range) I'm sure they exist, but they sure seem hard to find. Compared to most substances that humans consume daily, Vitamin C is quite safe.

  Martin: "Spreading this kind of misinformation is irresponsible."

  The subjects discussed on this list are almost entirely (with very rare exceptions) speculative, subjective, and unproven. If it is "misinformation", please take it up with the authors of the books that I mentioned.

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Ehrlich

Martin Stria <moisturize at gm ail.com> wrote:
  On 7/18/06, A B wrote:

> One of the most probable threats is from
> age-related cognitive decline. As many of you probably know, one of the
> primary suspects for age-related cognitive decline is cumulative
> free-radical damage. Fortunately, humans can significantly reduce (but not
> totally eliminate) further free-radical damage by consuming appropriate
> antioxidants (egg. Vitamin E, C, and others).

That statement has not be verified empirically, unless you have some
studies you'd like to share. Several meta-analysis have found the
reverse. You use as much antioxidants as you need and metabolize or
pass out the rest.

The makers of Puritanism claim 40% reductions in lipid per oxidation
levels, though. It works by increasing levels of antioxidant enzymes.

> Vitamin C
> is also totally safe unless you are trying to overdose with it and exceed
> around 10,000 milligrams daily - you won't overdose successfully but you
> will get some pretty bad diarrhea. :-)

You don't know what you're talking about. Serum ascorbic acid levels
peak at doses of 400 mg, the rest gets broken down into oxalate and
can potentially combine with Ca++ in the kidneys to form kidney stones
(although risk for this phenomenon seems to be genetic). It is
useless and potentially unhealthy to consume more than 400 mg in a
single dose, and given that you would only dose three times a day,
~1200 mg/d.

> At the very least, we should all consider taking 2 X 500mg Vitamin C, daily.
> It's a powerfully effective brain antioxidant, it's totally harmless,

I did a short review of antioxidants a while back:

HTTP://stria.org/bog/?p=227

Martin
HTTP://lists.extra.org/mailman/list info.cg/extra-chat

http://mail.yahoo.com