[extropy-chat] Melanzane alla Parmigiana (Eggplant Parmigiana) (was: The Extropy of Cooking)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue Jul 25 16:14:25 UTC 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 2:02 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 09:24:30PM -0700, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, do Europeans cook in Celsius?  While I know
>
> Of course.
>
>> everything is metric for the weights and measures, I don't recall
>> ever seeing many cooking temperatures in anything but Fahrenheit.
>
> I have yet to see a recipe with heathen units in it.

I figured as much, but I guess I was never exposed to it.  It is
probably a matter of the American market for cooking being
sufficiently huge that everything is converted for this market.  I've
seen grams/liters in recipes plenty of times, but the temperature
always seemed to be given in degrees F even in the few foreign
cookbooks (Asian) floating around here.  I thought there might be a
slim possibility that the use of Fahrenheit in cooking was a
historical oddity but apparently not.

It is all the same to me.  I use metric about as well as English
units, and can usually do the conversions on the fly.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers