[extropy-chat] Funding situation for stem cell research in the EU

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jul 25 17:16:19 UTC 2006

At 06:42 PM 7/25/2006 +0200, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:

>Despite all nice words and lip service
>to a EU integration that nobody really wants, nation states yield all
>power.

I think you mean "wield", since "yield" would be the exact opposite. :)

>indeed, you can have any omelette you like as long as you
>don't break any eggs making it. The eggs must have already been broken
>by someone else.

Well, in this case the eggs must have been *laid* by someone else
with no intention of their being broken. I presume this is an
application of that handy old Catholic doctrine of "double effect",
where the primary intention is to create embryos for parental
implantation (making more souls for the family and Jesus), with only
the secondary effect being the use of discarded embryos surplus to
reproductive requirement. Oddly enough, this doctrine is rarely
invoked (or rather explicitly revoked) to allow gay or infected men
to use condoms in their wickedly sinful sex, even though the former
use could not possibly be condemned on the usual ground that the
prophylaxis thwarts possible reproduction.

Hypocrisy rampant, as usual.

Damien Broderick