[extropy-chat] Whoa! / Wafa Sultan

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Mon Jul 31 07:17:05 UTC 2006

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> It says a lot about the world as it exists today, that the most stirring
> and passionate interview I've ever seen on television, aired on
> Al-Jazeera, and could probably never air in the US.

Please note:  I said that her words were "stirring" and "passionate",
not "rigorously correct".

I was impressed by Sultan's willingness to call herself a rationalist
and to speak out passionately against the flaws of a major religion;
that's what I don't expect to see on US television.

I was not particularly impressed by, e.g., her unwillingness to condemn
the various mass murders of American Indians.  The correct response
would have been that two wrongs don't make a right; that we are only
ever responsible for our own deeds, not our parents'; and that one
should put one's own house in order.