[extropy-chat] spamming ISPs like Fastweb (was: META: att.net users, you might need a different ISP)

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com
Mon Jul 31 21:54:59 UTC 2006

Amara Graps wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> See from the spamassassin log (the sysadmin at cesr.fr showed me what I
> 'looked like' from cesr when I sent mail)
>
>>  -------------------------------------------------- 3.5
>>  RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET RBL: Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net [Blocked
>>  - see <http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?85.18.14.16>] 1.2 RCVD_IN_SORBS_WEB
>>      RBL: SORBS: sender is a abuseable web server [85.18.14.16 listed in
>>  dnsbl.sorbs.net] 0.6 NO_REAL_NAME           From: does not include a real
>>  name
>>  1.0 RCVD_IN_SORBS          RCVD_IN_SORBS
>
> Now if you click on the link above, and then on the link that says
> "Information about the reasons for list (blocking your mail server)..",
> you see what is on the following web page:
>
> http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blcheck&ip=85.18.14.16
>
> Do you see the whole block of spam reports at the bottom?

Yes, oddly it seems quite of lot of the IP addresses in the 85.18.14.xxx range
are listed as spammers. However I note that the majority of the IP numbers in
that range don't appear there. Perhaps the whole 1-255 range is not blocked.
Does this mean some are considered "clean"? Have you tried asking your DSL
company to give your modem an address that isn't showing up there as a spammer?

We probably should take this offlist at some point because it likely isn't
interesting for most folks, and I don't see a lot of other helpful suggestions
popping up.
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/